BBS > Lexaloffle Community Superblog
This is a combined feed of all Lexaloffle user blogs. For Lexaloffle-related news, see @zep's blog.

All | Following | PICO-8 | Voxatron | General | Off-site
[ :: Read More :: ]

Cart #hongkong97-0 | 2019-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A remake of the infamous SNES game Hong Kong 97 i made during the past few days, and my first complete pico-8 game!
Preserves the same pointless and confusing gameplay of the original.

P#68405 2019-10-03 15:05 ( Edited 2019-10-03 15:05)

Cart #ff_aquova-0 | 2019-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

I made this probably a year ago when I was first learning how the Pico-8 music editor worked. I only just realized that I had never updated it (I also forgot that I had finished it), so here we go! It is a recreation of the menu theme for Final Fantasy.

P#68395 2019-10-03 02:47

Cart #picoctober2019_02-0 | 2019-10-03 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

The second day of PicOctober! Added scrolling messages with letters made out of sprites. Required creating tables with strings that form each row of each character. You can still roll one pumpkin around.

P#68393 2019-10-03 02:33

Hi,
I have an idea-- lets say i have a voxel/pixel model with colors blue and brown. Is lUA/shader/something else
able to have the blue voxels/pixels behave/look like water and the brown like dirt? Is there another idea for this? ps also in voxatron the white voxels dont show up when importing model? well thanks keep on gaming...

P#68379 2019-10-02 18:03

Hi,
I noticed a problem in the PICO-8 web export, concerning cart data. On a computer, the cart data works just fine, and I saw by inspecting my game's page (https://artridge.itch.io/dodge) that a folder called IndexedDB is created. I guess that's where the cart data is stored, because there is a directory called /user_data/cdata containing some data. So that's all working nicely. But mobile devices is where the problem occurs. To inspect my game's page on mobile devices, I plugged them to my computer, and used Safari's web inspector, which lets you inspect web pages on mobile devices. So on my iPad air 2 (iOS 12), this IndexedDB folder gets created, and cart data works fine. But on my iPad Mini 4 (iPadOS 13) and my iPhone SE (iOS 12), it isn't created, and nothing gets saved in the game (it should save highscores, and settings). It would be great if this could be fixed, because cartdata is quite a big part of my game.
And this problem also occurs here on the BBS, cart data isn't saved on my iPhone SE or my iPad Mini 4.

P#68375 2019-10-02 15:39

Pressing ctrl+s then ctrl+r in swift succession caused pico8 to freeze.

This did not resolve, and as a result the file was not saved, and was corrupted.

(I had a very recent backup so only lost a very short SFX. This was actually the third time I've had this issue, although the other two times it either resolved or the file wasn't corrupted.)

This was with Windows 10 and pico8 0.1.12c.

P#68363 2019-10-02 10:26 ( Edited 2019-10-02 10:26)

On Android, using Chrome, the cartridges (at least those on the BBS - I haven't looked further afield yet) have constantly crackly audio, and the distinction between ticks is very audible so each tick sounds burbly or garbled, and some instruments sound particularly off in tone from what they should sound like.

I am using an Android tablet. It's low end, but I believe that to be not the main issue because I can get near perfect audio in Firefox with the same tablet (it could still be a contributing factor if Chrome isn't very efficient with delivery of audio but Firefox is).

The tablet runs Android 8.1.0; Oreo go.

I am using Chrome (version 77.0.3865.92 - I just updated it to make sure the issue happened with the latest version available to the tablet).

I can't say whether this is a general problem or limited to this device (I don't have extras to try it on).

I feel this is worth mentioning on the pico8 forum as a bug in case people are expecting everyone accessing their cartridges to be getting a near equal experience. This won't necessarily happen, and the delivery of the audio content that I'm experiencing is so bad that I wouldn't expect anyone to keep a cartridge open for more than 20 seconds.

Here is a link to a cartridge with music in if anyone wants to make a comparison on their own device (in Chrome then in Firefox) try:

The Snowman by gradualgames

Or hunt around for something more to your taste.

I doubt everyone is affected by this, because if they were there would have been a post about it already, but all I find is the occasional mention of crackly audio, with no one noting it as a bug.

I'm not expecting perfection here, and appreciate that it's playing via JavaScript on a low end machine, but when the difference in experience between what Firefox delivers and what Chrome delivers is so great, it seems worth mentioning. (Firefox has a couple of crackles at the start, then smooths out and thereafter delivers quality audio.)

Even if I suspect the problem lies mainly with Chrome for Android, I would still wonder if pico8 could tweak anything to get better playback.

Thanks for reading! And thanks @zep for pico8 which I'm enjoying greatly.

Editing in some threads which may have noted this or another issue with Chrome sound before:

Android Chrome Audio Stutter (May 2019)

Pico-8 Audio on Mobile Web Browsers (Jan 2018)

Lagging sound on chrome (April 2017)

P#68362 2019-10-02 10:17 ( Edited 2019-10-24 08:27)

The inline code syntax matcher is too greedy. A single instance runs past the closing backtick to the end of the paragraph:

One `two three` four five

One two three four five

Multiple instances in a paragraph help to illuminate what's happening: the styled span starts at the opening backtick but closes at the end of the paragraph, so multiple instances produces nested spans:

One `two` three `four` five

One two three four five

P#68357 2019-10-02 07:20

Cart #hasufoguga-0 | 2019-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#68353 2019-10-02 05:45

Cart #pupemumoyo-0 | 2019-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

P#68349 2019-10-02 04:49

Cart #picoctober2019_01-0 | 2019-10-02 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Doing my own version of #PicOctober inspired by @Alexis_Lessard. I'm going to publish a pico-8 cart every day, building on the work from every previous day. Today I've just made it so you can roll a pumpkin around with the arrow keys.

P#68343 2019-10-02 03:26 ( Edited 2019-10-03 02:28)

Yep, I'm still working on my Sprite/Flag routine.

Yet I left one of my other items running in the background in a separate Pico-8 tab last night, awoke to see that it said:

OUT OF MEMORY

Well the next morning I cleared the slate and started new code for it:

cls()
print"testing"
repeat
until forever

About 12-hours later it crashes and says:

OUT OF MEMORY

Now I don't think there's any recursion involved in this, but if it's running out of memory just by doing a loop, it could be a problem for others coders, right ?

And yes, I know "forever" is a NIL statement.

Nonetheless for it to crash, thoughts ?

P#68336 2019-10-02 00:31 ( Edited 2019-10-02 01:14)

Cart #popol_quest-7 | 2019-10-07 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

About

Your are a brave little knight who is determined to steal the mighty dragon's treasure. But first you have to fight your way through his 6 henchmen.

Combat is inspired by Puzzle Quest and done through a match-3 game where you have to build a line or column of at least 3 gems of the same type.

How to Play

You control the curser to mark gems for swapping to form a new match. Different gem types have different abilities:

• Green and Yellow: deals damage to enemy
  • Red: heals player
  • Blue: Player gains Mana Points (MP)
  • Pink: Enemy gains Mana Points (MP)
  • Skull: Deals damage to player

If you have enough MP you can cast spells that will help you on your quest. But be aware the enemy can gain MP an cast spells as well.

You can only swap neighboring gems and get 5 damage if your move didn't form a new match.

Controls

• Use the arrow keys to move the curser
  • Use the Z, C key to mark a gem (O)
  • Use the X, or V key to open the spell menu (X)

Spells

Healing: costs 10 MP (15 MP for the enemy), heals 5 HP
Fireball: costs 20 MP, destroys a gem of your choice
Thunderbolt: costs 40 MP, destorys a line of your choice
Curse: (only for certain enemies) costs 15, deals 10 damage to player
Scoring

For every match you get you gain XP for every destroyed gem. How much can you get?

Credits

Programming and art by Steffi Jung @Schete_Jurf
Music by Lars Jung @lars_jung

Thunderbolt and healthpotion art by Nerdy Teachers

Changelog

1.0 Initial Release

1.1 Bug fixes

1.2 Cross matches now possible
When curser is over skull gem it's eyes blink red
Curser color swapped
Knight cheers when more than 3 gems are matched

1.3 Fixed a bug where one gem to much was cleared

1.4 German language support

P#68318 2019-10-01 19:00 ( Edited 2019-10-07 16:09)

Cart #ghosthouse-0 | 2019-10-01 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

here is my submission for Spooky September 4-Color Jam!

it was a collaboration between me and my wife; she drew all the amazing background art! (using a vector drawing tool I made)

enjoy, and happy september/october/autumntimes! :>

P#68310 2019-10-01 01:25

Cart #ix_spinflower-0 | 2019-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Controls

Menu: Z to start game.

Game: UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT to move cursor,

Z to place point (reflected 4 ways)

X to finish shape and start a new one (shape will begin spinning)

Mechanics

This is a simple toy thing I put together in a very short time (maybe 2 hours?) on a laptop because my main computer is having Issues. But it came out pretty fun! Every time you 'add a point' with the Z button, it reflects a line to the centre of the screen from that point, mirrored four times, so it looks like an X basically, but you can control the size and angle of the X. And then you can keep adding Xes until you're happy with the look. Press X to 'set' that shape and start it spinning, and then build another the same way. If you're running in PICO-8 itself, you can use F3/F4 to capture little GIFs of the thing. Sorry it is so basic, as often happens the last-ditch idea is way cooler and has way more potential scope than I thought!

Commentary

Do I even bother saying it was a busy month? It's been wild. Working on a lot of different things as usual, in and out of work! But feel like I'm learning, and have more to do as always! This is a fun idea I might come back to and significantly expand, we'll see.

itch.io page: here​.

#onegameamonth September 2019

P#68308 2019-09-30 22:57 ( Edited 2019-09-30 22:58)

Cart #regolith_steam_v2-0 | 2019-09-25 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Hi. Here's a WIP that I'm starting to like. It's my first game. It def took me longer than expected :).

My goal was to simulate an aspect of asteroid mining that requires hopping between asteroids using steam as fuel and regolith (dirt) for shielding. I wanted a turn-based procedural world that's difficult to traverse.

Any feedback is welcome and appreciated. I'm still working on how to arrange these asteroids in increasingly challenging ways.

Brief Overview

You are an asteroid mining prospector trainee.

You are remotely controlling an asteroid prospecting spacecraft.

You have a limited map of the asteroid belt your spacecraft sits within. This map shows a rough approximation of the materials each asteroid contains.

It's your job to land the craft on an asteroid and gather more data about what the asteroid contains. You then sell this information for future mining missions.

The value of this information fluctuates relative to the whims of the market.

In this training exercise, your goal is to get to the Zone 5 market.

Don't let your fuel (water) or shields (dirt/regolith) get too low or your craft will become unusable.

Controls and Interface

You move between asteroids with the arrow keys. Use x key to start or continue.

Asteroids can contain a variety of materials.

Three materials can be sold on the market:

Pink-ite : pink in your map
Green-ite: green in your map
Yellow-ite: yellow in your map

When you land on an asteroid with these materials:

1. you will be charged a fee
  2. you will automatically sell them on the market
  3. these materials will no longer be availble to you for selling

In your control panel, the far left two vertical bars indicate the amount of market materials your craft has detected.

The third bar from the left indicates the money/gold you have. The red dots at the top of this bar indicate the cost of landing on an asteroid, with market materials, in this market.

You receive gold based on the volume of the market materials found relative to the current exchange rate.

The exchange rate, for a particular Zone's market is shown in the area above your map. These rates cycle through three variants each day. The center exchange rate is applied today. The bottom rate is what will happen tomorrow. The top rate is what happened yesterday.

When your gold has reached the top of the bar, your spacecraft's fuel and shield algorithm will be upgraded. Press x to continue. After upgrade, you will get gold equivalent to the green dots next to the gold bar.

Two other materials can be on asteroids:

Water : blue in your map
Regolith (dirt) : brown in your map

You hop between asteroids by heating water and generating steam. Water can be found on some asteroids, represented as blue in your map, for refueling.

You protect yourself from the sun by coating your spacecraft with regolith (brown dirt) found on the asteroid. Regolith can be found on some asteroids to replenish your shields.

Your fuel (blue water) and shield (brown regolith/dirt) levels are shown in the two bars to the right of your map. The red dots at the top of these indicates how much they are reduced when you move. The green dots indicate how much these bars are replenished when landing on an asteroid that contains water or dirt.

Your shield and fuel usage will be upgraded as you max out your gold. This will help you get to Zone 5.

Thanks and Backstory

Thanks go out to feedback on my initial asteroid generation effort by @freds72 :https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=34135 . I indeed used the 3d library by @electricgryphon. I used rasterization code from @creamdog.

Inspiration for the backstory via the following cool articles:
https://www.nasa.gov/directorates/spacetech/niac/rogolith_derived_heat/
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/612999/steam-powered-spacecraft-could-jump-start-asteroid-exploration/
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3304/1
https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucedorminey/2019/01/14/steam-powered-asteroid-hopper-offers-revolutionary-new-way-to-explore-our-solar-system/#7a59520f500b

P#68301 2019-09-30 19:32 ( Edited 2019-09-30 19:50)

Heyo!

For the Spooky September Jam I made a little game about a cat who's scared of you, but there are ways to befriend him!
It's based on my girlfriend's cat. I hope you enjoy! :)

Cart #mokowafugo-0 | 2019-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

P#68299 2019-09-30 18:35 ( Edited 2019-09-30 18:39)

Cart #landscape_16-0 | 2019-10-05 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

Old Version

Cart #landscape_07-0 | 2019-09-30 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | License: CC4-BY-NC-SA

Explore alien lands with a high-color world generator.

This is a new take on Postcards From the Fringe, which I made a few years ago. https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=28026

Press "z" to visit a new, random planet.

Features:
--High-color flicker dither technology with 4,096 indexed colors/patterns [Warning flashing lights]
--Endless bicubic noise mountains
--Mountain shape variations: islands, hills, spires, etc.
--Alien sunset sky with clouds
--Water with ripples and sky reflection
--Preview render in standard (non flicker) mode
--Anti-aliased image composing with alpha channel

To do:
--Ability to save / share worlds
--Controls to tweak variables

Technical:
This is a voxel landscape engine, actually adapted from Pico Kart but with height added. The system is not very optimized for speed right now... definitely room to make it a lot faster even if not real-time.
Color handling is taken from my Hypercolor Paint cart. The palettes of colors and patterns are loaded from cart memory and generated by another cart that takes ages to run.

-Electric Gryphon

P#68270 2019-09-30 05:26 ( Edited 2019-10-05 22:09)

The p8 file has unix end of line characters.
I created a lua file that I wanted to include and I was getting very weird syntax errors.
Then I remembered that Windows uses different end of line characters. When changing it to unix format it worked fine.

Trying to find the minimum code that triggered the error I found that it only fails when the { and } characters are on different lines.

Actually it also happens for parenthesis. If the parenthesis are more and two end of line chars apart they fail:

file that works:
print("hi!")

file that works:
print("hi!"
)

file that fails:
print("hi!"

)

converting the last file to Unix format works just fine.

P#68261 2019-09-29 21:41

by Zero
Cart #ocean-1 | 2019-09-29 | Code ▽ | Embed ▽ | No License

A game I made during the UW GI Fall 2019 Game Jam.
The theme was Create the Unknown.

The game will create and show you a random 3x3 pattern of blocks, and your
goal is to create it from memory, but you can't see where your character is or where
the blocks that you've placed are.

The mode that you're in is displayed on the top-right of the screen.
You can switch between modes by pressing Z.
There are 3 modes:

Move:
Use the arrow keys to move around.
Press X to reveal what you've built then press the right-arrow key to see if you've won.
If you didn't get the pattern correct, it will reset the building area, but with the same pattern.

Select:
Use the left and right arrow keys to switch between blocks
in the hotbar at the top of the screen.

Build:
Use the arrow keys to select where to place the blocks.
You can place blocks in the 4 tile spaces around the player. You can use this to figure out
where the player is.
Press X or the left mouse button to place a block.

P#68256 2019-09-29 17:31 ( Edited 2019-09-29 19:21)
View Older Posts